Our Site contain links to websites hosted by third parties. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such third-party websites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our Site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”) about you.
- Changes To This Policy
- Information We Collect About You
NerdOut gathers information about its users mainly to enhance their experience on our Site. This information is used to bring you content that is relevant to your interests. Additionally, NerdOut, along with our advertising partners, collects information about you anonymously to provide you with targeted advertising messages that are catered to your location, interests, and our Site behaviors. You can opt out of information gathering for advertising purposes with certain of our third-party partners below. This collected information includes 1) personal information you provide to us and 2) non-personal information we automatically collect through technology.
a. Personal Information You Provide To NerdOut
When using our Site, you may provide NerdOut with PII, including but not limited to:
- Personal contact information (name, zip code, e-mail address, and phone numbers)
- User names (including social media user names)
- Correspondence with NerdOut staff
- Billing Information (for paid NerdOut products)
- Contact information for NerdOut event tickets
You may also provide information to be published or displayed on public areas of our Site (“User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on our Site at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of our Site who view your User Contributions or with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
You are not required to provide NerdOut with any PII in order to use our Site. Certain PII you provide to us can be updated through the account settings of registered users. PII that is collected is the sole property of NerdOut, and that information is not distributed to third parties unless required by law.
b. Non-Personal Information We Automatically Collect About You
This type of information is collected anonymously through the use of technology, such as third-party cookies, web beacons, and other similar methods. No PII is collected through these methods. Non-personal information we automatically collect may include, but is not limited to:
- Hardware/software information (geographic location, IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, bandwidth, etc.)
- Analytics information (time spent on our Site, number of pages viewed, referring web page, browsing information, social sharing, etc.)
- Advertising information (type of ads seen, number of times ads were served, pages where the ads were served, etc.)
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Some of the technology used includes but is not limited to:
Web beacons: Our Site content may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit NerdOut, for example, to count users who have accessed our Site and for other related statistics, for example, recording the popularity of certain Site’s content and verifying system and server integrity.
For more information on cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies, please visit the Internet Advertising Bureau’s Interactive Glossary.
c. Information Third-Parties Collect About You
This type of information is collected anonymously by approved third-party partners (such as online marketing firms, research companies, social media companies, ad targeting firms, and other partners). None of the information collected by these sources contains any PII. Information third parties collect about you includes but is not limited to:
- Demographic information (gender, age, HHI, job title, interests, etc.)
- Advertising information (clicks, interactions, post-impression performance data)
- Social networking information (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Research information (data collected from partners such as Nielsen, Comscore, Quantcast, etc.)
- What Is Done With The Collected Information?
Email Communications: NerdOut may use the information that you submit to send you email communications, such as newsletters, breaking news, information about our Site, alerts, and promotional messages from advertising partners.
Site Analysis: NerdOut uses the information collected through third-party sources to learn and analyze how our Site are used. We use this information to enhance our Site by making improvements based on the data collected.
Advertising: Display Ads are delivered from our adserver Google’s DoubleClick. We may use third-party advertising companies to collect data and/or serve ads when you visit our Site. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, telephone number, or any PII) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to deliver targeted ads to you, your location, and your interests. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org. We also use third-party ad platforms (such as Google AdSense and Amazon Associates) to deliver ads on our Site. No PII is exchanged with any type of advertising message on NerdOut.
- How We Share Information Collected
There are very few specific circumstances when your information is shared outside of the company. These circumstances include but are not limited to:
- If you post User Contributions or use social media applications in conjunction with our Site, the information you submit (including your social media user name) is viewable to the public.
- NerdOut may need to disclose PII to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or any other legal process.
- We employ third-party services to distribute email newsletters, and these third-parties have access to specific information only for the purposes of fulfilling contracts on our behalf.
- In the event NerdOut goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users’ PII will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
- Email Policy
NerdOut is committed to complying with all U.S. privacy laws, such as the CAN-SPAM Act, and all other applicable privacy laws, such as Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, and it is our intention that our email communications be pursuant to such laws.
With the exceptions noted above, NerdOut does not allow any third-party company to use your email address for commercial purposes without your expressed permission. We will send you newsletter communications, partner sponsorship messages, account alerts, and any other emails you have requested to receive. If you would like to opt-out of any specific newsletters or mailings, please login to your profile to change your newsletter settings.
- Children Under 13
NerdOut is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on NerdOut.net. NerdOut does not knowingly target advertising to, or collect information from, children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on our Site or on or through any of its features, register on our Site, use any of the interactive or public comment features on our Site, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, telephone number, email address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data Retention
NerdOut uses commercially reasonable controls to safeguard data against unauthorized use and theft.
- Contact Us